Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Under the Weather


Well, as you may have guessed, I am not feeling well. I spent the weekend fighting a vicious cold, and ended up taking a day off of my practicum in order to rest even more. It was a long weekend to boot, so I spent 4 days basically laid up. I am back at it today, but I am not very enthusiastic, it's midway through the day and I am already tuckered out. That said, I did make a really great soup last night, which is helping me through... I figured I would share the recipe so that I don't forget it...
Alex's 45 minute Do Almost Nothing Chicken Soup
Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
3 strips turkey bacon
1/2 white onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt
Pepper
2 chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch peices
3 red potatoes, chopped into 1.5 inch peices
3/4 cup red lentils
6 cups water
6 branches kale, stem removed and chopped to bite size peices
Steps:
Heat pot, and oil. Medium heat my friends. We can't all be heros.
Add onions, bacon and garlic, and seasoning until onions are sweating/browning.
Add chicken breast, allow chicken to brown a bit, cook about 1/2 way through. (10 minute nap)
Add lentils and potatoes, 3 cups of water, and allow the flavours to blend (10 minute nap)
Add the rest of the water, cover and let it boil a bit (10 minute nap)
Add kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
Makes: 6 cups of earthy deliciousness. Obviously, you can add anything you like- carrots, celery, not add the bacon, use different seasoning... there are variations of every thing... but this is what I did, and it sortof made me feel a bit better.
How does this make me a better human ecologist? Well, I am back at work today, and strong enough to survive till home-time, so I guess thats all that can be hoped for in this ill begotten situation. Get it- Ill? I'm Ill, and it's Ill begotten?
Ha! I crack myself up.

No comments:

Post a Comment